MY BLOG HAS MOVED!

You should be automatically redirected in a few seconds. If not, visit
http://supakid.wordpress.com
and update your bookmarks! See ya there!!! :D

Jan 15, 2009

Dazed & Digital Interview



This designer has a cartoon-ish side to his pieces, most deff a breath of fresh air. For those who don´t know, Dazed digital is the online version of Dazed and Confused culture/fashion mag. I really love there view on fashion and allways feature amazing upcoming designers. Below i posted an interview with Xiao Xiao Dong.

Xiao Xiao Dong takes body distortion to a whole new level. Previously a fine art student, Dong graduated with a BA in Fashion Print from Central Saint Martins earlier this year, and is causing quite a stir with her disproportionate silhouettes. Incoporating printed fabrics within rectangular frames, the experimental Chinese designer creates an eccentric universe of wildly exaggerated shapes and child-like prints. Illusory trousers are printed on skirts, while jackets and shirts are topped off with squared shoulders. Currently applying for an MA, Dong is determined to develop these ideas as much as she can before starting her career in fashion.

How old are you?

23.

How long have you been designing?
About 4 or 5 years.

Where are you based?
Between London and Beijing.
Why menswear?
For no particular reason. It just came to my mind when I found inspiration for that collection.

What inspires you at the moment?
Everything in my notebook and which I don’t want to tell at the moment.

How would you describe your style?
I think my style is experimental and changing as long as I’m growing up. Sometimes I think I should stick to one route but then again, I’m only 23 so why not go with the flow now?

Were you interested in fashion while growing up?
I had never looked at a fashion magazine until I saw a photoshoot with Chinese model Lu Yan in Vision magazine. She’s still my muse now. I’ve also been interested in doodling and drawing since I was very little…
What was your favourite outfit from your youth?
Probably none, but I do remember the worst one - my high school uniform. Dull is the word to describe it!

With all of the press interest in your collection what are your plans now?
I want to spent more time on this collection and develop it further.

Can you ever see yourself having your own label?
Yep, I'll hit it off right away when I'm ready.

What is your dream job?
A job that can offer me money and a flexible work space.

Can we buy your collection anywhere? If so, where?
You can contact me at xiaoxiao313@hotmail.com.

No comments: